2014 Jubilarians – 70 Years

Sr. Marie-Paul Gobeil, fmm

Sr. Marie-Paule Gobeil was born on July 2, 1918 in Quebec City, Canada.  At age three, she attended the Ecole Maternelle, run by the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, and continued through their third grade,  then attending the parish school for grades 4-7.  Afterwards, she studied privately.  She always said that even before she entered, her “life was with the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary.”

In September 1943, still a temporary professed Sister, Marie-Paule became assistant for the Ste. Jeanne d’Arc  Community in Woonsocket, R.I.        Read More

 

 Sr. Anne Foster

Sr. Anne Foster entered the Novitiate of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary in June, 1944 in North Providence, where she learned the linotype machine at the Fruit Hill Mission Printing Press and where she made final vows in December, 1949.   After completing her studies as an RN, Anne served as a head nurse in Kennedy Memorial Hospital (now Franciscan Hospital for Children); McMahon Memorial Temporary Shelter for Children, in Harlem, NY; Cardinal Hayes Home for Children, Millbrook, NY; and St. Francis Hospital, Roslyn, NY  Read More

 

Sr. Herminia Coquia, fmm

Sr. Herminia Coquia entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary in Manila, Philippines in 1943 and soon travelled to the United States for studies, finishing her BA degree and pronouncing her final vows in June, 1949.  Her first mission sending was to Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon) where she taught for three years in the high school.  Called to Rome, she visited many holy places there and FMM missions in Europe.  In 1955, she was missioned to Ghana, West Africa, where she established the first high school in the “bush”.  Despite hardships and inconveniences, success awaited the first batch of student candidates when they all passed the GCE exams from London.    Read More

 

2014 Jubilarians 65 Years


Sr. Mary Theresa Plante, fmm

Sr. Mary Theresa Plante was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan and entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary on September 17, 1948 at North Providence, Rhode Island.  Mary Theresa’s first sending was to Kennedy Memorial Hospital in Brighton, Massachusetts, which is now known as Franciscan Hospital for Children.  From 1951 to 1952, Mary Theresa ministered as a supervisor of the children in Kennedy Memorial Hospital.               Read More

 

Sr. Elizabeth A. Conyers,  fmm

 

Sr. Elizabeth Ann Conyers, FMM entered the Institute on December 7, 1948.   She made her first profession in Grottaferrata, Italy in 1951 and her final profession in Nazareth Convent Ootacamund, India in 1954. She obtained her BS in Chemistry and Zoology from St. John’s University College in Brooklyn, NY.  Immediately after first profession, she was sent to Madras, India where she lectured at Stella Maris College in Zoology for one year, and in Chemistry for six years. From 1959 – 1966 she served as local superior of Nazareth Convent, Ootacamund, where, among other responsibilities, she accompanied sisters in their five-month preparation for final vows, and Associate sisters in their formation to life in the Institute.     Read More

 

Sr. Agnes Begley

Sr. Agnes J.  Begley entered the Institute of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary on March 16, 1949 and pronounced her final vows on Sept. 17, 1954.   A registered nurse, graduate of Carney Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, she served as a nurse anesthesiologist before her entry to the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary.   As a young religious, she was missioned to India where she pronounced her final vows in Ootacamund, India.  She remained in India from 1951 to 1991. Read More

 

Sr. Ruth Tamulis, fmm

Sr. Ruth was born in Boston (not far from the Old North Church where lanterns were hung to signal Paul Revere, leading to his famous ride) but she grew up in South Boston.

After graduation from Boston Teacher’s College, now part o f U-Mass  Boston, she taught for a few months in an elementary school in South Boston. She then entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary in March1949at North Providence, R.I.

In September 1951, after first profession, Ruth was sent to Rome until a visa could be obtained for her mission destination, India.  There were seven sisters,  an Irish and American contingent who went by cargo ship via the Suez Canal, dropping off some of the Sisters in Karachi ,Pakistan.  Read More

2014 Jubilarians – 60 Years

Sister Maria Concepcion Zunzarren

Sister Maria Concepcion Zunzarren (M. Eudes de los Sagrados Corazones),  entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary at Pamplona, Spain, in 1953, where she also made her first vows.

After helping in the kitchen at Burgos for three years, she was sent in mission to Via Giusti, where she helped in hospitality and made her final vows on June 12, 1959 in Grottaferrata, Rome, Italy.         

She was missioned to the United States to  serve the Spanish­ speaking immigrant families, and served for nine years at Divine Providence Shelter and at McMahon Child Care Shelter as a group mother. Read More

  Sr. Emmanuel Shen, fmm

Sr. Emmanuel Shen, fmm was born into a deeply Catholic family on September 14, 1932 in Shanghai, China.  Prior to entering, she was able to travel to Melbourne, Australia for study, but following God’s call, she entered  the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary on March 18, 1953 in Mittagong, Australia. She pronounced her first vows on March 19, 1956.  One month later, Mother Chrysanthe , her  provincial, called her to Singapore to send her on mission to Rome to prepare for another mission sending. Read More

Sister Maria Concepcion Zunzarren

Sister Maria Concepcion Zunzarren

 

Sister Maria Concepcion Zunzarren (M. Eudes de los Sagrados Corazones),  entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary at Pamplona, Spain, in 1953, where she also made her first vows.

After helping in the kitchen at Burgos for three years, she was sent in mission to Via Giusti, where she helped in hospitality and made her final vows on June 12, 1959 in Grottaferrata, Rome, Italy.         

She was missioned to the United States to  serve the Spanish­ speaking immigrant families, and served for nine years at Divine Providence Shelter and at McMahon Child Care Shelter as a group mother.

In 1970,  Sr. “Conchy” ( as she is called)  began studies at Marillac College  in St. Louis, receiving a  B.A. in Social Work, with a minor in psychology. In the process of working for this degree, she became a member of the National Association of Social Workers and began her ministry in the field of social work. She spent a year of field placement at Malcolm Bliss Mental Health Center, and wrote an in-depth departmental research paper on educational trends in drug education.

Her ministry as a social worker opened up new possibilities in relating to Spanish-speaking immigrant families within the U.S. culture.  She recalls many of her own difficulties in adjusting to U.S. culture.  A sense of humor, a little mischievous twinkle in her eye, and a warm and lively personality characterize Sr. “Conchy”, who enjoys listening and talking to people.  She gained deep satisfaction in working with children and poor families.  In 1982, she obtained a M.S in Social Work from Columbia University.

Sr. Conchy was missioned in 1990 to N.S de Guadalupe, New Mexico where she served as the local coordinator and was a member of the province leadership as a councillor.

She served as the  Directressof YoungReligious  untilJune1,2004  and also, as a  Pastoral Worker in the area of Domestic Violence.

In 2006 she was missioned toTrinity Community in North Providence where she serves as the Co-Director of  FMM Office for Facilities and Properties and as the Local Coordinator  ofTrinity Community.

Sr. Herminia Coquia, fmm

Sr. Herminia Coquia entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary in Manila, Philippines in 1943 and soon travelled to the United States for studies, finishing her BA degree and pronouncing her final vows in June, 1949.  Her first mission sending was to Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon) where she taught for three years in the high school.  Called to Rome, she visited many holy places there and FMM missions in Europe.  In 1955, she was missioned to Ghana, West Africa, where she established the first high school in the “bush”.  Despite hardships and inconveniences, success awaited the first batch of student candidates when they all passed the GCE exams from London.

The school established by Sr. Herminia was approved for government financial aid, later producing doctors, dentists, nurses, teachers, etc.  To pursue higher education, Herminia was sent to Ottawa, Canada where she obtained a Master’s Degree in Religious Education from St. Paul University.  She then returned to Ghana, inserting herself into teaching in a Co-ed Government boarding high school. Her four years there were rewarded when three of her students entered the seminary and later became diocesan priests.

San Francisco, CA. was Herminia’s next mission, where she was coordinator in two convents and appointed by the Archdiocese as principal of a large CCD parish school in Daly City.  The school population came from low income families with a variety of ethnic backgrounds.  Every year there were more than 100 First Communicants and 80 for Confirmation.  Sr. Herminia was later missioned to Fruit Hill Assisted Living where she was doubly thankful to be in a prayerful, peaceful environment. This atmosphere continues to be present for Herminia in St. Antoine Residence, North Smithfield, R.I. where she is much admired for her spirit of sweetness and thankfulness.

 

Sr. Anne Foster

Sr. Anne Foster entered the Novitiate of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary in June, 1944 in North Providence, where she learned the linotype machine at the Fruit Hill Mission Printing Press and where she made final vows in December, 1949.   After completing her studies as an RN, Anne served as a head nurse in Kennedy Memorial Hospital (now Franciscan Hospital for Children); McMahon Memorial Temporary Shelter for Children, in Harlem, NY; Cardinal Hayes Home for Children, Millbrook, NY; and St. Francis Hospital, Roslyn, NY.

Sr. Anne later studied Business Administration in Hospital Administration and continued her ministries in health care as well as different fields of nursing at hospitals, Child Care agencies, Nursing Homes and Public Health Care.  For a period of time, Anne cared for relatives who were in need of skilled nursing care and ran a household that included a one-month premature infant girl while her mother was in a coma. She continued being a substitute mother for three children including the infant child after the mother’s death. From 1985 to 1992 her ministry was as treasurer and personnel director at Divine Providence Convent and Shelter, NY.  She did advanced studies in Alcohol-Drug Counseling and interned at Caron Foundation, Wernersville, PA.  In addition to being elected coordinator of Roslyn’s FMM community and Bursar in several others, Anne has received honors in her life, among them being a listing in “notable Americans”, “Who’s Who in the South and Southwest” and “Men and Women of Distinction.” In the last few years, Anne has lived at St. Antoine Residence in North Smithfield, R.I., experiencing the ministry of suffering and prayer in her quiet, unassuming way, giving an example to others of gentleness, patience and understanding when people confide in her.

 

Sr. Marie-Paul Gobeil, fmm

Sr. Marie-Paul Gobeil, fmm

 

Sr. Marie-Paule Gobeil was born on July 2, 1918 in Quebec City, Canada.  At age three, she attended the Ecole Maternelle, run by the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, and continued through their third grade,  then attending the parish school for grades 4-7.  Afterwards, she studied privately.  She always said that even before she entered, her “life was with the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary.”

In September 1943, still a temporary professed Sister, Marie-Paule became assistant for the Ste. Jeanne d’Arc  Community in Woonsocket, R.I.

She was missioned in 1960 to Holy Family Convent in North Providence on the feast of Blessed Maria Assunta, once again serving as the community assistant.  After this, Marie-Paule was missioned to St. Francis Hospital Convent in Roslyn, New York to serve as sacristan and cook.  She returned in 1973 to Holy Family Community once again to supervise the food services.

In 1978, Marie-Paule was missioned to become a member of the St. Joseph Senior Community in Brighton, MA., where she helped out in various capacities. During that time she also went to Canada for a year of renewal.

In August of 1979, Marie-Paule was again sent to St. Francis, Roslyn, where her ministry was hospitality for the family members of pediatric patients from around the world.  In 1985, she received permission to travel to Korea to experience the country and lifestyle of some of her young patients to be better able to help and understand them.   She attended several reunions of her former “grandchildren” and all enjoyed seeing “halmoni” (grandmother) again.  After her return to St. Francis, Marie-Paule worked in the Finance Department of St. Francis Hospital and was driver and “Jill-of-all-trades” for the community.  She was also community treasurer during that time.

InJuly2002,Marie-Paulewasmissioned toOur Lady Queen of Peace Community in North Providence, R.I. where she remains today and, maintaining involvement in community life and interest in world affairs.  Presently, her ministry is intercessory prayer for the Church and the world.

 

Sr. Ruth Tamulis, fmm

 

 
 

Sr. Ruth Tamulis, fmm

Sr. Ruth was born in Boston (not far from the Old North Church where lanterns were hung to signal Paul Revere, leading to his famous ride) but she grew up in South Boston.

After graduation from Boston Teacher’s College, now part o f U-Mass  Boston, she taught for a few months in an elementary school in South Boston. She then entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary in March1949at North Providence, R.I.

In September 1951, after first profession, Ruth was sent to Rome until a visa could be obtained for her mission destination, India.  There were seven sisters,  an Irish and American contingent who went by cargo ship via the Suez Canal, dropping off some of the Sisters in Karachi ,Pakistan.

Sr. Ruth and her companions went ashore in Bombay (Mumbai, today) and after a few days, received their mission sendings.   Ruth’s was for Hyderabad, in the Deccan Plateau of South India.  In those days India had two provinces, and Pakistan was part of the North Province as was Hyderabad State, with the city of Hyderabad as its capital. The city boasts of a palace for the Nizam, once the ruler of that princely state, before it became part of a united India.  The famous Salaar Jung Museum is also located there.  Today if you looked at a map, you would see that Hyderabad is now in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
 
Ruth served in the high school as a teacher, and also was in charge of the elementary section of the school.  At one point, along with the Telugu High School and the Montessori school, the sisters were responsible for the education of 3,000 children.  They were a typical international community of various nationalities.  After twelve years, she was missioned to a few other places in the state, always in the field of education, except when she was the animator of the community at the FMM College in Vijayawada.
 
During those years, an exciting mission was to a foundation where a dam, part of a hydroelectric project, was being constructed nearby.  At one time when floods ravaged the Krishna River and washed away a bridge, Ruth missed an opportunity to visit Bombay on the occasion of Pope Paul VI’s visit there.
 
After 20 years in Andhra, Ruth’s last mission assignment was to Palluruthy, Kerala, in the Southwest, where she spent the last two of her twenty-two years in India.
 
Ruth was missioned back to the US in 1974 where she studied Theology and the Bible.  Ruth then taught in Espirito Santo School in Fall River until 1978 when she was missioned to St. Michael’s School in the Navajo Reservation, doing pastoral work and teaching.   Returning to Fall River in 1980, she once again taught in Espirito Santo School  until in 1989 she was sent to St. Louis where she worked in the vocation office.  Moving to St. Bartholomew’s in Waukegan,  she worked in pastoral ministry and taught English to the novices.  This she continued doing in the Novitiate as it moved to Fall River, then,Central Falls and later, West Greenwich.
 
Her present ministry is collaboration with other Franciscan Missionaries in the Mission Resource Center in North Providence. 

 

 

Sr. Agnes Begley

Sr. Agnes Begley

 

 

Sr. Agnes J.  Begley entered the Institute of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary on March 16, 1949 and pronounced her final vows on Sept. 17, 1954.   A registered nurse, graduate of Carney Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, she served as a nurse anesthesiologist before her entry to the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary.   As a young religious, she was missioned to India where she pronounced her final vows in Ootacamund, India.  She remained in India from 1951 to 1991.

Sr. Agnes was one of the founders of the Child Jesus Hospital and School of Nursing, which included a Midwifery program in Tiruchirapalli, South India.  She was in charge of the Maternity Section of this hospital for many years.  Most of her 40 years spent in India were in the medical field.

In addition to teaching in the School of Nursing, she had opportunity to give religious instructions to the student nurses as well as providing help to their families.  She spent several years in Coimbatore, South India where there was a small hospital serving the “poorest of the poor.”

 She also served as the superior of the community.  Her last mission post in India was in Madras as a member of the staff of Sacred Heart Boarding School for children.

 Since her return to the USA she has served in community leadership positions both at the FMM Nursing Center, Fruit Hill, N. Providence and at St. Antoine’s Center, N. Smithfield. In the latter, she served in pastoral ministry to both her FMM Sisters and other residents of St. Antoines.

Her present ministry is in Fruit Hill, scheduling hospitality and other events, and also prayer and intercession for the needs of the Church and of the world.

 

Sr. Elizabeth A. Conyers, fmm

 

Sr. Elizabeth A. Conyers,  fmm

 

 

Sr. Elizabeth Ann Conyers, FMM entered the Institute on December 7, 1948.   She made her first profession in Grottaferrata, Italy in 1951 and her final profession in Nazareth Convent Ootacamund, India in 1954. She obtained her BS in Chemistry and Zoology from St. John’s University College in Brooklyn, NY.  Immediately after first profession, she was sent to Madras, India where she lectured at Stella Maris College in Zoology for one year, and in Chemistry for six years. From 1959 – 1966 she served as local superior of Nazareth Convent, Ootacamund, where, among other responsibilities, she accompanied sisters in their five-month preparation for final vows, and Associate sisters in their formation to life in the Institute.

 In 1963, Elizabeth supervised the foundation of a community in a small village on the Mysore plateau in “elephant” territory.  From July 1966 to May 1968, she served as local superior of Stella Maris Convent in Madras. In 1968, she returned to Ooty as superior.  In 1969, Elizabeth participated actively in the diocesan and regional levels of the All India Synod [the Indian Church’s effort to implement the decisions of Vatican II].It was during this time that she directed the establishment on the Nazareth Convent property of a residential Training School for young girls (with a program that provided them with practical skills in typing, bookkeeping, housekeeping, gardening, etc.).

In September,1970 Elizabeth was missioned back to the States. Appointed local coordinator of St. Francis Community, Roslyn in March 1971, Elizabeth was named Provincial of the US Province in the General Chapter of 1972. She was elected for a second term as provincial in 1975. During these years she was active in LCWR, first on the Social Concerns committee and then on the Mission Committee.

After studies in Catholic Theological Union in Chicago where she obtained an MTS degree in mission studies, Elizabeth was called to Grottaferrata, Italy to coordinate a program on Franciscan Spirituality for FMM from around the world. She remained there until 1986 as a member of the animating team for the Emmaus Renewal Program for FMM. On returning to the States, she assisted for one session of the Bethany Renewal Program for FMMs, made a Thirty Date Jesuit retreat, and then headed off to a small parish in Portales, New Mexico where she was the parish assistant and religious education coordinator.

Elected coordinator of Divine Providence Community in June of 1989, she served in NYC for 7 years supervising the closing of our 45th Street community and the founding of Holy Name Community on 97th St.   In 1997, Elizabeth was asked to take the position of Vice-President for Mission Effectiveness in Franciscan Children’s Hospital in Boston.. She served in FHC for 7 years and remained in the Boston area communities, serving as local treasurer until 2006. Missioned to Myriam Community in the Bronx, Elizabeth remained there accompanying a young religious and serving as archivist until 2008 when she was called to Fruit Hill where she now serves as local coordinator.